Market-leading Cyber Security Provider
The customer needed help merging two smaller cyber security firms – each with their own data centers, as well as implementing a large managed security services footprint meant to serve 2,000 end users and clients nationwide.
SHI architected a multi-vendor solution for the new data center and managed security services, including Pure Storage arrays, Dell rackmount servers and Chassis, and Cisco Nexus switching.
- Customer saved over $1 million in total cost of ownership.
- The solution ensured alignment with future growth and provided enormous horsepower for their core business.
- The combined solution established the customer as a leader in the constantly changing cyber security market.
After two cutting-edge providers of end-to-end cyber security solutions merged, the exponential need for additional computing power rendered both existing data centers obsolete. A single, new data center would need to power the security services necessary to serve thousands of clients of various sizes as well as the new company’s own 2,000 end users.
How do you decommission two data centers and build another without disruption to customers and end-users?
With the combined company’s business on track to double or triple within the next 10 years, SHI conducted several data center assessments to understand the current environment (including the value and capability of existing equipment and software) as well as forecast future needs.
After defining the scope of the project, SHI architected a multi-vendor solution with an ability to scale quickly. The initial design included new configuration and deployment of:
- Two NetApp all flash arrays
- 10 Dell rackmount servers
- Three Dell blade chassis
- 30 Dell blade servers
- 80 Microsoft SQL server per-core licenses
- VMWare vSphere
For the managed security services portion, SHI’s Advanced Solutions Group designed a solution that included:
- Two Pure Storage arrays
- 20 Dell rackmount servers
- One Dell Blade Chassis with eight blade servers
- 24 Cisco Nexus switches
- Microsoft Windows Server software
- A backup solution featuring Commvault software
The combined solution expanded computing power while significantly lowering the merged company’s overall data center footprint. It ensured business continuity, aligned with future growth projection and enabled the customer to emerge as a leader in the uber-competitive cyber security market.
The combined data center decommissioning and move took approximately 18 months to complete and will save the customer over $1 million in total cost of ownership.